Wednesday, March 28, 2012

On the road to cloth

It has begun! We have started using cloth diapers. Now when I say "we" I mean me and when I say "started" I mean, I have dipped my toe into the greener waters of cloth diaper-dom. The cloth diapers I purchased before M was born were different brands of what are called One-Size Pocket Diapers. For those of you not familiar with the new fangled cloth diaper world, "one size" means they are supposed to fit babies from 7-35 pounds via various snaps and elastic means of sizing as they grow. And pocket is a microfiber/terry insert that gets inserted into a pocket at the back of the diaper. I also purchased 6 "All-In-One", or AIOs, one size diapers. That means there are no inserts but extra linings that are a part of the main diaper. M was 7 lbs when she was born but these diapers were so big on that tiny little tushie! So I decided to wait until her tushie grew a bit. Now the one size diapers seem to fit much better! The other thing I was waiting for was to purchase a diaper sprayer that attaches to the toilet to spray the... poo off of the diapers before putting them in the wash. This weekend mom and I ventured to one of the few "green" baby stores north of Denver called The Giggling Green Bean (cute right?) and mom bought me four "Perfect Size" FuzziBunz to try and I bought the diaper sprayer and two wet/dry bags for transporting clean and dirty diapers while away from home. I've been so excited to start the cloth diaper trial. Because M sleeps through the night I decided to try the diapers at night first. So on Monday night I put her first rumparoo cloth diaper on. She looked so cute!

So we went to bed and in the morning her butt was dry! The diaper insert was wet but she stayed pretty dry! First night success!!

So the trial continues. This week we'll use the cloth diapers during the night and this weekend I plan to try to cloth diaper her all day! We'll see how that goes! And we'll see how Marc likes it because he hasn't changed one yet. After that... we'll have to start them at daycare. I hope they transition into it easily. M will be the only baby in cloth diapers! Who knows, maybe we'll start a trend. But for now, we're dipping our toes in :) I'm still excited about it. Hopefully that doesn't change when I have to come home to dirty daycare diapers! But it will definitely save us money in the long run! I've gotten all of my cloth diapers (except for 2) at a discount from the original prices. I would say I've only spent approximately $200 for 22 diapers. That may seem a lot to most people but if you think about it, we spend $26 for a box of 108 disposable diapers that might last about 2 weeks! So in two months you would spend $208 and that's the same price I bought my 22 diapers for that I can use until she's 35 pounds! 

Our cloth diaper adventure has begun!

1 comment:

Pete said...

My Dear Tara
Your Mother and I were in the Stone Age of Diaper-dom when yu were a tot! So I am glad that there have been so many advances in the world of Poo and Pee!
Love you Sweetie, and Love reading of your travails!
Dad