Friday, October 12, 2012

Life lost

I'd heard the news just after I picked up my little one from daycare. I honestly don't listen to the regular radio that often anymore, but I turned it on to distract the little one's obvious annoyance that we weren't heading home. The song they were playing had just ended when the DJ came on to share the sad news.They had confirmed that the remains found in the open space area 7 miles from her home were in fact those of Jessica Ridgeway. My heart sank and my eyes welled. But I couldn't cry. My little one was in her carseat still protesting that she was... in her carseat. We were on our way to visit daddy at work so that some coworkers who are moving back to their home country could see her before they left. So I turned off the radio and sang the alphabet to her in the most upbeat tone I could muster. At daddy's work I smiled and beamed as everyone enjoyed my little one's beauty. We got home and went through our routine of dinner, play and then her pre-bedtime nursing. It was then, holding my little angel in my arms as she drifted off into peaceful slumber that I couldn't stop the tears from flowing. I did my best not to sob so as not to startle her and there she nursed and drifted off to sleep. Cradling her gently I prayed. I prayed for Jessica, her family who will never get to hold her again. I prayed for the countless children that go missing everyday that we don't know their names. And I prayed for my baby girl. That she'll always be safe and protected. I know it's every parent's prayer and that life is full of uncertainty, but all we can do is take each day and be thankful for every blessing.

My heart is with the Ridgeway family, the community and every parent praying for the children. God Bless you Jessica.

No comments: