Saturday, June 27, 2015

An Historic day

As my readers know, my blog is mainly a narrative of my family life. Kind of like a journal to the world and for me to keep track of life sometimes as it goes so fast.

But today, I would like to take a moment to say congratulations to the LGBTQ community and to all Americans for the history making decision made by the SCOTUS yesterday, June 26, 2015. In a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court declared same-sex marriage legal in all 50 states! BRAVO! It's about time! It is the type of day that makes my heart fill with joy and hope for people everywhere. How can it not?

This was not about the "definition" of marriage according to the people who oppose this ruling. As Justice Kennedy pointed out "The nature of injustice is that we may not always see it in our own times." The definition of words change as humanity changes (see this story and this one that includes an amusing note on the meaning of the word left.) There are so many examples just in the Bible itself!

I think it was George Takei that tweeted yesterday that "Gay used to mean happy, now all gay people are happy!" #Lovewins was the hashtag floating all over social media yesterday and it's perfect. Because, who are we to tell other people who to love? I was raised Catholic and just because I don't practice through the Catholic church doesn't mean I don't believe in God. The God that I believe in doesn't hate. As a Facebook friend of mine pointed out, because "God is not an asshat" :) Thanks Melissa for the quote and the cartoon.
(Image by David Hayward at www.nakedpastor.com)

No comments: