Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Words and actions

When I was working full time I would send a "thought of the day" to my family by email. The TOTD's, as I came to call them, were meant to give them a smile, or a laugh, or maybe some encouragement for the day. I usually pulled a quote from few "quotations" websites that I liked. Those quotes were often from historical figures, sometimes from books and more recent entries were from celebrities.

I started saving quotes that I really liked hoping to pass on the wisdom of the words to my children in times where they might be relevant. That may sound like me being a little unimaginative as a parent using someone else's words but sometimes the right words fail me and it's nice to get a little help from others whose experience may offer valid insight. It might also provide them with a different perspective than my own words might. Unfortunately, I saved them on my computer at work and didn't transfer them before I left.

There is, however, one that has always stuck in my head and I like to think of it as a goal for everyday.

Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mahatma Gandhi

This is definitely the way of thinking I'd like to pass on to my children. As a parent we have to start small. Be the person you want your children to be. Our children watch everything we do... EVERYTHING. I was reminded of this the other day when I was talking on the phone to my mom and Little M decided to keep interrupting me. I was a little short tempered because I hadn't had the best night's sleep as Little L wanted to wake up every 2 hours that night. So I kind of barked at her when I said to be quiet I was on the phone. Well, later that day, she was playing pretend with her phone and I went to ask her something and she gave me the exact look I can imagine was on my face and told me "Be quiet! I'm on the phone!" Well, that sure made me think! We are the examples for how our children will see the world and if we want them to be kind and compassionate to others we have to set the precedent for them. Like I said, we have to start small, like modeling patience. But we also have to not be too hard on ourselves because some days will be better than others. 

No comments: