Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Thought of the Day

Each morning when I get to work I go on the web and search several "quote" or "thought of the day" websites in search of an inspiring thought of the day (TOTD for short) to send to my family. It is usually relevant to my feelings of the day and usually reflects my need for inspiration or a different attitude toward the coming day.

Today's TOTD comes from the Greek playwright Euripides. 

"The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man" 

To me, there is a lot to gain from these words. The most obvious is to take it in its literal sense. There are powers all around us that affect the outcomes of our lies but there are also powers within us that are meant to counter those that surround us. Our inner power has the ability to affect the world just as much as the world can affect us. If we realize that we are as powerful as the outward forces, we can live more effectively than if we feel that we are merely pawns in the game of life.

Fate is real but it is not a static entity that leads opportunities to us. I have another quote to explain this, it is from one of my favorite movies "Ever After". The character of Leonardo da Vinci tells Prince Henry "you can't leave everything to fate boy! She's got a lot to do!" 

Today's thought of the day I picked as a reminder to myself. I have just as much power over my life as the events surrounding me. I just have to learn to use that power to best affect my world and my life.

What do you get from it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Use the force luke! The powers within ourselves are great, once we learn how to harness them.