Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Focus

Yes, I know I said I was going to do better on keeping up with my blog and here I am two weeks after my last blog. I had been doing so good! Well, no worries, I intend to get back on track. The last couple of months I have been trying to gain focus on where I want to go in my career life. I've been at my current job almost 8 years! That would be great for someone who wanted to be in law but I started my current job as a way to pay the bills and work through school. I've done both of those (still paying the bills though) and graduated almost 2 years ago and here I am, still in the same position. I am very grateful to have a job in this economy but I feel slightly selfish in saying... I want more. So I've been reevaluating my core values and what I want in a career. And well, let's face it, in life also because so much of our time is spent at our jobs I think it needs to be something worthwhile if you're spending time away from those you love most.

Through this introspection, as well as the professional help of the MBTI and Strong assessment, I've discovered that I have a need to find personal meaning in my work, I like to solve problems and I am committed to institutions and projects that reflect my values. And of all the areas listed in my assessment, I am drawn to the Life and Social Sciences category. What a co-inky-dink! My degree in Anthropology fits right in with that!

Now it is time for me to focus my broad goals into a well defined career and life goals. It seems like a daunting task... we shall see! But we always have to have a place to start and what better place to start then with my values.

Stay tuned...

No comments: