Thursday, July 19, 2012

Values

What values are you looking for in a job?

When I was asked that question, I must admit I was slightly confused. Values... values... values... I kept thinking in my head. "Learning... growth... flexibility?" No, those aren't values, those are benefits. This took a bit more contemplation on my part. The question was posed by a career coach that I've been working with. Why would I need a career coach? Well, the obvious reason is to get out of the job I've been at for almost 8 years. But as we've progressed it's more than that, it's to gain focus.

So what are the values I want in a job?

4. Integrity

After working so long with lawyers (you know the old "Dewey Cheatem & Howe") I'd like to be in a career that I feel is honest and ethical.

3. Initiative

For so long my job has consisted of monotonous, repetitive tasks. I would like to work in something where I can take on responsibility and challenges.

2. Independence

As an assistant to others I can have my own way of getting things done but I always have to be "on call" for the attorney's immediate requests. I would like to be in a position where I can work independently but also be able to bring results to a team.

1. Achievement

My number 1 value is Achievement. As I said, I've been in a monotonous, unfulfilling job for so long, I want to be in a career where I am able to utilize my abilities and feel accomplished at the end of the day.

These values aren't just what I want in a career. I want to make them a part of my every day life. Since my graduation in Decemeber 2010, I feel like I have been complacent in my values as they pertain to my responsibilities to the earth. Most especially since I will be bequeathing our Earth to my baby girl I think I should make more of a concerted effort in how I live. Not only how I live but taking the initiative (one of my values) to take part in things I feel need to be changed. I recently came across a project called "The Story of Stuff Project" and it described exactly what I was looking for. Annie Leonard founded this non-profit in 2008 after she had created a 20-minute movie about stuff and our relationship to it. There is a big problem in our policy and our treadmill economy and I want to be a part of the change. So along with my career search, this will also be a big part of my next adventure. In fact, it may even be a part of my career focus direction... only time will tell. Come along with me as I take this journey!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woot! Woot! Thats awesome! We should all take a look at our career/life values, we only have so much time on this blue marble we should be happy in what we spend our time doing an try to make others happy too. Whats that book about?